Membership at Emmanuel is an important step toward committing yourself to fellowship with this community as we seek to participate in God’s mission in Seattle and beyond. Members commit to support the ministry of our church and our denomination, and have the opportunity to regularly vote on critical aspects of our work together.
Those interested in membership will be asked to complete the following:
1) Attend a membership class offered periodically by the church staff and pastor.
2) Submit an Emmanuel Membership Application to the pastor or member of the Leadership Team.
3) If you have never been baptized as a lifetime follower of Jesus, contact the pastor to arrange for your baptism prior to your acceptance as a member. (Note: As a member of The Evangelical Covenant Church, Emmanuel recognizes both infant and adult baptisms.)
4) After completing the requirements listed above, your application will be reviewed by Emmanuel’s Leadership Team, which will vote to approve membership. This process may include a personal interview to learn more about you and your life story. According to the Emmanuel constitution, Leadership Team is invested with the authority to add new members to the body after all requirements have been met. (If any current member of the church wishes to object to this membership, they may contact Leadership Team and request a full congregational vote for any new member.)
5) If affirmed by Leadership Team, at the next congregational meeting, you will be presented to the whole body of Emmanuel as a new member!